Stored XSS on user "Category report" function in admidio/admidio
Jun 18th 2023
An attacker can inject malicious executable scripts into the code of the Name field
Proof of Concept
Log in as an admin or any member with the right access to the Category report -> Configuration function.
Insert this payload into the "Name" field
General role assignment" autofocus onfocus=prompt(document.domain)>.
Click Save and access the function again or this URL, the XSS payload will be triggered.
Since the cookie used for sessions was set with the "HTTPonly" attribute, so the attacker can not hijack user sessions but still can carry out some malicious actions by manipulating XSS vulnerabilities, such as:
- Users are being redirected to a malicious website.
- Capturing keystrokes from users.
- Obtaining access to a user’s browsing history and clipboard contents.
- Execution of web browser-based exploits (e.g., crashing the browser).
- Influencing the users to submit requests to a server controlled by the attacker.
- Modifying the page’s content.
- Using deception to trick the victim into disclosing their password to the application or other applications.
- Using a security vulnerability in the web browser, infecting the victim with other malicious code, and potentially taking over the victim’s computer.